Official Magic:The Gathering thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Break It Alex » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Where ya playing? What are you running for decks? Any good tourney finishes? Anyone here playing Pro Tour: Austin? Anyone playing in the PTQ's in jersey and ny this weekend? Anyone seen a Zendikar spoiler with more than 4 cards?

Just talk magic.

Also I searched for Magic on B9 and it came back with an "I hate hippies" thread. I didn't read it, but if someone mentioned the spector. They'd hate the black/red discard deck I'm running. I had to splash red to defend against pro: black. Plus it give me blightnings and terminates rather than doom blades and mind rots. So its a win-win.

I've only been playing competitively for about 3 weeks. I played a lot with friends from 94-98 or so and here and there in the past ten years, but m10 has brought me head first back into the mix. I'm only doing drafting and type twos. Probably gonna stay away from EDH and extended and all that noise.

So magic players what are you up to?
Break It Alex

Postby M.C_ronin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm

magic..... never got into it.
M.C_ronin

Postby Break It Alex » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm

M.C_ronin wrote:magic..... never got into it.

good talk.
Break It Alex

Postby andydansby » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:28 pm

tell us more
andydansby
RIP DJ SCREW

Postby BryanTXHC » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:33 pm

did anyone dl the magic the gathering game off of xbox live

i need someone to play against

gt bryantxhc
BryanTXHC
Wishes He Had Yu Darvish's Hair

Postby steepheen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Im Kai Budde
steepheen

Postby letsgomurphys » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:34 pm

damn..I haven't played this game in years.... I remember spending so much money on this game and I still didn't have that great cards.

all of my friends were obsessed with counter spells and the game became one big counter fest. It got old pretty quick. I played for a few years..it was fun
letsgomurphys

Postby Olerud » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:38 pm

if you're into this, google magic workstation. it's a program that lets you build decks/test them out against other people in lobbies and shit. pretty legit, i used to mess around with it all the time.

not so much into magic anymore though. but i did run a pretty killer stuffy doll deck back in the day.
Olerud

Postby Break It Alex » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 pm

letsgomurphys wrote:damn..I haven't played this game in years.... I remember spending so much money on this game and I still didn't have that great cards.

all of my friends were obsessed with counter spells and the game became one big counter fest. It got old pretty quick. I played for a few years..it was fun

just playing with friends can get pretty boring especially if you dont have money to build a bunch of different decks. Type 2 tournaments are cheap and fun once you get a respectale deck
Last edited by Break It Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Break It Alex

Postby LarrytehkingLOLer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 pm

ANDYDANSBY wrote:

tell us more

lol
LarrytehkingLOLer

Postby borntorun1976 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 pm

someone in Lowell is selling 500+ cards for 80 bucks on craigslist.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tag/1340997945.html

so weird I happened to come across that earlier.
borntorun1976

Postby negijosh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:45 pm

lord of the pit and breeding pit , beef up what you dont sacrifice to lord of the pit with unholy strengths and such, play mindrots and other hand discarding cards and yah set.

was my baby
Last edited by negijosh on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
negijosh

Postby munger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm

i've been trying to get into it, but i don't know anybody who plays in my area.
munger

Postby this might be satire » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm

i have friends who play. that one card that let's you use a 2 mana card as much as you want is a bitch.
this might be satire

Postby JohnKapp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Break It Alex wrote:Where ya playing? What are you running for decks? Any good tourney finishes? Anyone here playing Pro Tour: Austin? Anyone playing in the PTQ's in jersey and ny this weekend? Anyone seen a Zendikar spoiler with more than 4 cards?

I mostly play FNMs, Champs and Regionals, but went to my first PTQ in June. Finished in 32nd place out of 87 which wasn't bad, considering I was playing a 5CB deck I just picked up the night before en route to Calgary for said PTQ. Right now I'm running a four color cascade deck, everything but blue. Post-ZEN rotation I may go to UW to play new Wrath and Baneslayers. Bloodbraid is still the best card in standard.

This card is just as good as Wrath would be right now, barring WoTC printing a good regenerating creature in ZEN, that will go unchanged.
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=178892

Also, this blows my fucking mind:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=179720

Anyone stoked for Planechase? I'm considering playing Planechase in my Cube Drafts to add a little more insanity. Also, super stoked that they're bringing back the Kor, I fucking loved Tempest-block.
JohnKapp

Postby weezinghaze » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 pm

i played when i was in middle school/high school than stopped. trying to get back into it. it's been a pain in the ass getting used the all new cards and mechanics.
will be playin booster drafts this weekend.
weezinghaze

Postby letsgomurphys » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Break It Alex wrote:
letsgomurphys wrote:damn..I haven't played this game in years.... I remember spending so much money on this game and I still didn't have that great cards.

just playing with friends can get pretty boring especially if you dont have money to build a bunch of different decks. Type 2 tournaments are cheap and fun once you get a respectale deck

I tried playing locally back in the day, but it was like playing with a bunch of "comic book guys" (from the simpsons) and they were complete douche bags to play with.

There are a ton of new rules right? Like instants don't work the same way?
letsgomurphys

Postby nikoisdead » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 pm

I just recently started buying the 2010 cards. Trying to put together a Black/Blue deck. Haven't played in like 10 years though so I'm a little rusty. I wish there was somewhere around here where a bunch of people played.
nikoisdead

Postby xstanfastx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

I left a bunch of cards in a stack at my mom's house before I went to college. Was over there the other day and was blown away that some of them were still there. Although, her cats had knocked over the stack and an unlimited mox emerald had gotten totally torn in half when box got put on top of it and moved around. Haha.

I laughed.
xstanfastx

Postby Cutty Sark » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

still running a green enchantress/enchantment deck. Deranged Hermit and Doubling Season is the kill combo. its decent, still need some work but I only play my roommate once in a while.

Also running a pretty basic control blue deck.
Cutty Sark

Postby xjollyxrogerx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:17 pm

This thread has been getting made every two days it seems.

I'm working on trying to get a green black elf/discard deck running out of the 2010 set.
I need 3 more birds, and 3 more Elvish Archdruids.
Was going to try to incorporate Great Sable Stag but I dont know if its needed.
xjollyxrogerx

Postby the Walking Dead » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:21 pm

There are spoilers for the upcoming block, Zendikar, on the web. There's a new kind of instant called a trap coming with it too. I'm kind of excited for it.
the Walking Dead

Postby Cutty Sark » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 pm

the last time i bought cards was during the ravnica block. how is type 2 these days? i dont understand the mythic rares? are they any good?
Cutty Sark

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 pm

post current badass cards
weezinghaze

Postby xjollyxrogerx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Cutty Sark wrote:the last time i bought cards was during the ravnica block. how is type 2 these days? i dont understand the mythic rares? are they any good?

Before M10 I bought two boxes of Ravnica and was going to try to get back in the swing of things then but that idea fell flat.
And the Mythic rares are just rares that replace the regular rare 1 out of 8 times.
They're supposed to be better cards all together.
M10 had Darksteel Colossus as a mythic, which I didn't really understand, but they also had Baneslayer Angel as a Mythic which makes far more sense.

Edit: Image

And all the Planeswalkers are Mythics.
xjollyxrogerx

Postby Character_Break » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm

I used to play this all the time a few years back! I still have all my cards and have considered getting back into it. It will take me a while to rebuild some killer decks I used to have. I had a zombie deck which was never beaten. All of my creatures were either zombies and rats (for quick summoning to have a creature of some sort on the field quickly). Plenty of revive spells as well. And fear, I love fear.
Character_Break

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:40 pm

xjollyxrogerx wrote:
Cutty Sark wrote:the last time i bought cards was during the ravnica block. how is type 2 these days? i dont understand the mythic rares? are they any good?

Before M10 I bought two boxes of Ravnica and was going to try to get back in the swing of things then but that idea fell flat.
And the Mythic rares are just rares that replace the regular rare 1 out of 8 times.
M10 had Darksteel Colossus as a mythic, which I didn't really understand, but they also had Baneslayer Angel as a Mythic which makes far more sense.

further explain mythics please. how do they play? i know what planeswalkers are and such. the two play similar?
weezinghaze

Postby welovethehearts » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 pm

still play competetively. flew out to boston a couple weeks ago to play in the gp and ended up 20th out of 1600 or so players. will be going to the gp in paris as well as tampa and minnesota and maybe one or two more internationals if i can fit them into my schedule.

have recently fallen in love with the WoW TCG and have been playing it more than magic and probably will in the future, but ill leave that out of this thread. haha

if any of you are on modo hit me up: countmeout is my username.
welovethehearts

Postby xjollyxrogerx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 pm

weezinghaze wrote:
xjollyxrogerx wrote:

further explain mythics please. how do they play? i know what planeswalkers are and such. the two play similar?

They play exactly the same as normal cards, they're just more rare.
The only ones that change playstyle are the planeswalkers.
xjollyxrogerx

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 pm

xjollyxrogerx wrote:
weezinghaze wrote:
xjollyxrogerx wrote:

is that why the M10 is a bronze color instead of gold?
weezinghaze

Postby xjollyxrogerx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm

weezinghaze wrote:
xjollyxrogerx wrote:
weezinghaze wrote:
xjollyxrogerx wrote:

is that why the M10 is a bronze color instead of gold?

Yeah.
At first before I had heard of this mythic rare idea I thought they had changed the color of less rare uncommons.
Working on a Bronze/Silver/Gold scale.
xjollyxrogerx

Postby GlenisGay » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 pm

I have a pretty sweet zombie deck rigged up. Never played in a tourney. Would be interested in playing again.
GlenisGay

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 pm

luckily there are a couple shops here, that do magic nights and such.
im gonna attempt my shot at a booster draft this weekend. could someone break down type 2 and standard play for me and other types of play i may not know of?
weezinghaze

Postby I Keep Screaming » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm just a Legacy player but 5cc and Faeries would be the decks I would play in Standard. Thinking of getting into it when Zendikar rolls around.
I got rocked last Sat losing to Mono Red Goblins, UGWr Countertop mirror match, and Discard/Blood Moon.dec at the local weekly Legacy tourney.
I can put together lots of good shtuff: ANT, Threshold/Countertop, Goblins.
Going to play at a Vintage tourney on Tues. Deciding between Oath of Druids or Painter which I can somewhat put together with 10 proxies.
Best game.
I Keep Screaming

Postby welovethehearts » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 pm

weezinghaze wrote:luckily there are a couple shops here, that do magic nights and such.
im gonna attempt my shot at a booster draft this weekend. could someone break down type 2 and standard play for me and other types of play i may not know of?

dont jump into std till end of next month with the new rotation. start getting cards from shards block and m10 then pick up zendikar when it comes out. you will be fully prepped then.
welovethehearts

Postby weezinghaze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 pm

welovethehearts wrote:
weezinghaze wrote:luckily there are a couple shops here, that do magic nights and such.

dont jump into std till end of next month with the new rotation. start getting cards from shards block and m10 then pick up zendikar when it comes out. you will be fully prepped then.

cool, will do.
could you define standard and type 2?
weezinghaze

Postby welovethehearts » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 pm

weezinghaze wrote:
welovethehearts wrote:

cool, will do.

standard = type 2

in no order:

decks
5 color control and variants
4 color cascade and variants
combo elves
jund rush/control
faeries
merfolk
back/red

missing a few, but that is off the top of my head. if you want any further info on those decks check out starcitygames.com or channelfireball.
welovethehearts

Postby xjollyxrogerx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 pm

welovethehearts wrote:
weezinghaze wrote:
welovethehearts wrote:

cool, will do.

standard = type 2

in no order:

decks
combo elves
jund rush/control
faeries
merfolk
back/red

missing a few, but that is off the top of my head. if you want any further info on those decks check out starcitygames.com or channelfireball.

I think he was wanting a rundown of the rules or whats allowed.
If so, I think type 2 is the current 3 expansions and the core set at the time.
But i could be mistaken.
xjollyxrogerx

Postby welovethehearts » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm

xjollyxrogerx wrote:
welovethehearts wrote:
weezinghaze wrote:
welovethehearts wrote:

cool, will do.

standard = type 2

in no order:

decks
combo elves
jund rush/control
faeries
merfolk
back/red

I think he was wanting a rundown of the rules or whats allowed.
If so, I think type 2 is the current 3 expansions and the core set at the time.
But i could be mistaken.

close.

type 2/std currently include lorwyn block/m10/shard of alara block

once zendikar comes out it will be shards/m10 and the zendikar set.
welovethehearts

Postby JohnKapp » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 pm

xjollyxrogerx wrote:This thread has been getting made every two days it seems.

I'm working on trying to get a green black elf/discard deck running out of the 2010 set.
I need 3 more birds, and 3 more Elvish Archdruids.
Was going to try to incorporate Great Sable Stag but I dont know if its needed.
PM me and I can sell you 3 Birds PPD for 20 USD if you're interested. All will be black bordered from Rav, 10th or M10.
JohnKapp

Postby rbarbour709 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 pm

I just started getting back into Magic. Umm right now playing a 4 color deck with lots of huge flying creatures that keep getting bigger.
rbarbour709

Postby never sleep alone » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:46 pm

anyone wanna buy a big box of magic cards. pretty sure there are some rare out-of-print cards in there
never sleep alone

Postby xjbx » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I have a small box of cards from middle school sitting in a closet at my parents

I have random cards from fallen empires, homelands, ice age, mirage, and tempest if I remember
xjbx

Postby Break It Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:37 pm

nikoisdead wrote:I just recently started buying the 2010 cards. Trying to put together a Black/Blue deck. Haven't played in like 10 years though so I'm a little rusty. I wish there was somewhere around here where a bunch of people played.

we were having a blue/black workshop at my house and werent really figuring out a way to make it work in the current block. The only reasonable concept I can see to play with it is mill. Extractor demons and the traumatize/haunting echos combo along with making them discard. I think that would work
Break It Alex

Postby RoflItsHCJ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm

if anyone plays on official MTGO my name is hcjrocks
RoflItsHCJ

Postby Break It Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm

welovethehearts wrote:still play competetively. flew out to boston a couple weeks ago to play in the gp and ended up 20th out of 1600 or so players. will be going to the gp in paris as well as tampa and minnesota and maybe one or two more internationals if i can fit them into my schedule.

have recently fallen in love with the WoW TCG and have been playing it more than magic and probably will in the future, but ill leave that out of this thread. haha

now these are the people i wanna see posting about magic. I started playing again right after that GP. I missed a PTQ over the last weekend in bosotn because I didn't know about it. I'm gonna stay on top of these things and play some more serious events. Only way to get good is to play with beter people.

Im hearing a lot of good things about the WoW TCG. Might have to try it.

And fuck it feel free to talka bout any TCG is this thread. Anyone play the vampire one from white wolf? I loved Rage back in the day and used to play all those RPGS as well. I was curious if that game was any good.
Break It Alex

Postby Break It Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

welovethehearts wrote:

I've just been running on only what legal for next block. and a lot of whats fucking me up from oponenets is stuff thats gonna rotate out. I've done allright in standard so far. cant wait til all that lorwynn shit is gone.
Break It Alex

Postby welovethehearts » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Break It Alex wrote:
welovethehearts wrote:still play competetively. flew out to boston a couple weeks ago to play in the gp and ended up 20th out of 1600 or so players. will be going to the gp in paris as well as tampa and minnesota and maybe one or two more internationals if i can fit them into my schedule.

now these are the people i wanna see posting about magic. I started playing again right after that GP. I missed a PTQ over the last weekend in bosotn because I didn't know about it. I'm gonna stay on top of these things and play some more serious events. Only way to get good is to play with beter people.

And fuck it feel free to talka bout any TCG is this thread. Anyone play the vampire one from white wolf? I loved Rage back in the day and used to play all those RPGS as well. I was curious if that game was any good.

agree with the getting better point. i cant even play in FNMs anymore due to losing a lot of points due to my ratings being really high again.

by chance are you the same alex that is good friends with todd pollock and was at the hammer bros show the first weekend of august?
welovethehearts

Postby Break It Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm

welovethehearts wrote:
Break It Alex wrote:

agree with the getting better point. i cant even play in FNMs anymore due to losing a lot of points due to my ratings being really high again.

by chance are you the same alex that is good friends with todd pollock and was at the hammer bros show the first weekend of august?

i've known todd for probably 7 or 8 years. I was at and played that show. But im not sure if im the alex your talking about because Todd and I's relationship has never gone beyond shows really.
Break It Alex

Postby Break It Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Also I've played stuff that was supposed to be DCI sanctioned at 4 stores. only of them is showing up when i log into DCI. 3 Events there and none at the others. I played like shit at all of them but I was just hoping to earn reward points. The only thing I can think of is the fact that the store I signed up at has me in their system as Alic instead of Alex, but if the DCI number is right everywhere that shouldnt matter right? Im not sure how the reporter works so I dont know.
Break It Alex

Next