All Things Horror

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby benten » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 am

foggy wrote:Jigsaw was pretty meh. It raises too many questions, and really isn't that satisfying. I'd rank it after Saw 3 and 4.

Watched A Cure for Wellness last night, was good but over too overindulgent and dragged on for too long.

it was for sure too long, but I loved where it ended up
benten

Postby Bob Loblaw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm

How have I not seen Suspiria until just now??
Bob Loblaw

Postby antipasto » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Bob Loblaw wrote:How have I not seen Suspiria until just now??

So good
antipasto

Postby jaredfromsubway » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Goddamn
jaredfromsubway

Postby Heathenist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 pm

I saw it for the first time 5 years ago, and it was a 35mm screening. My mind was definitely blown. Immediately made my top 5 list.
Heathenist

Postby jaredfromsubway » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 pm

I've been watching a bunch of movies on Shudder this month, today I watched Spring. I can't believe I haven't seen this one before. More of a romance movie compared to horror, but the horror elements are there. It's like Richard Linklater's Before Trilogy mixed with H.P. Lovecraft and body horror. I saw that Guillermo Del Toro mentioned it as one of the best horror movies in the past decade, after watching this, it's clear to see that he used Spring as an influence to making The Shape of Water.
jaredfromsubway

Postby Heathenist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 pm

jaredfromsubway wrote:I've been watching a bunch of movies on Shudder this month, today I watched Spring. I can't believe I haven't seen this one before. More of a romance movie compared to horror, but the horror elements are there. It's like Richard Linklater's Before Trilogy mixed with H.P. Lovecraft and body horror. I saw that Guillermo Del Toro mentioned it as one of the best horror movies in the past decade, after watching this, it's clear to see that he used Spring as an influence to making The Shape of Water.

Yeah Spring doesn't get nearly enough recognition, I watched it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Like you said, it's definitely a romance story, but I don't think that makes it less of a horror movie by any means.
Heathenist

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 am

Watched Candyman for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Candyman's voice is really creepy.
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 am

I wasn't super into Spring. It wasn't bad, but one of the best of the last decade? Get real Guillermo.
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:10 am

Spring is so good.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby Mark R » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:58 am

Watched a surprisingly good domestic thriller called Emelie on HBO. Not horror in the genre sense, but has that "it could happen to you/your family" feeling. It takes place over the course of one evening of a babysitter and some kids. Every plot element is borrowed, but it's well acted and at 80 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome.
Mark R

Postby creativexcover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 am

Not sure if this was posted, but it's cool for people who like data:
http://insider.directv.com/halloween/
creativexcover

Postby benten » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:05 am

creativexcover wrote:Not sure if this was posted, but it's cool for people who like data:

interesting that the 90s is the 2nd favorite decade since it gets pooped on so much, of course wrongly so.
benten

Postby creativexcover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am

benten wrote:
creativexcover wrote:Not sure if this was posted, but it's cool for people who like data:

interesting that the 90s is the 2nd favorite decade since it gets pooped on so much, of course wrongly so.

I honestly was thinking it'd go 80's, 70's, 90's
creativexcover

Postby BRICK_FLAIR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Woodshatter wrote:Making the decision to see Suspiria tonight for the first time (and in that 4K restoration to boot) was a damn good one.

Just got the Korean Blu in the mail, gonna get down on that after work.

Did not know this was a thing. Is it the uncut version? Will Korean blu rays play on my American PS3?

I missed Suspiria in a theater last week by an hour, and couldn't watch the version posted a few pages back cuz of distracting foreign language subtitles.
BRICK_FLAIR

Postby creativexcover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:26 pm

BRICK_FLAIR wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Woodshatter wrote:Making the decision to see Suspiria tonight for the first time (and in that 4K restoration to boot) was a damn good one.

Just got the Korean Blu in the mail, gonna get down on that after work.

Did not know this was a thing. Is it the uncut version? Will Korean blu rays play on my American PS3?

I missed Suspiria in a theater last week by an hour, and couldn't watch the version posted a few pages back cuz of distracting foreign language subtitles.

Not sure if this helps, but:
The PS3 only works with Blu-rays that aren't region locked or are from the same region as the PS3. If your PS3 is R3, only R3 movies and the ones that are region free will work.
creativexcover

Postby Bob Loblaw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah, that Korean Blu is region free and a really good transfer. I had zero problems hearing the dialogue and the resolution and contrast were both excellent, especially for a 40 year old movie.

box art is super basic though : /
Bob Loblaw

Postby Aesthetic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Are there really two different 4K versions of Suspiria floating around? I was only aware of the Synapse release coming out later this year.
Aesthetic

Postby lajoie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 pm

what do you all think of this list?
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/gu ... ll-time/7/
lajoie

Postby Stormy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

I've seen at least a half dozen different Susperia DVDs. The one i have is on Anchor Bay (which also have several versions). Mine has the closeup of the blue screaming woman's face. Looks and sounds great. I'm not concerned about the picture quality being that it's a '70s horror movie and that's what i want it to look like when i watch it. I always stay clear of HD with stuff like this. Anyway, just watched it again last week after some years and still love every minute. Just a classic, and in my top 5 horror always. My wife kept saying shit like "this is silly" every 10 minutes. I wanted to choke her out.
Stormy

Postby lifejuice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Watched Under The Shadow the other day and really liked it. The mix of a haunted apartment and the wartime setting gave it a feeling of dread that I haven't felt in a while.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TheB9 mobile app
lifejuice

Postby Heathenist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 pm

lajoie wrote:what do you all think of this list?
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/gu ... ll-time/7/

Arguably the worst "Best of" list I've ever read. For any category, not just the worst list of best horror movies. I guess it's based on RT scores, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. But for christ's sake, TCM, The Exorcist, and the Shining are all not even in the top 70 and are listed alongside last year's mediocre as hell, "Don't Breath" and the terrible shot for shot American remake of "Let the Right One In". I was annoyed when TCM wasn't in the top 3, but once I realized it wasn't even in the top 20, I stopped taking the list seriously at all.
Heathenist

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:24 pm

it took me directly to the top 10 with babdook and get out so i didn't even look at the rest
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.

Postby Stormy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

That list!!! I only looked at the top 10. Get Out is the greatest horror film of all time? Night of the Hunter and King Kong are horror movies?? Wow, fucking clueless.
Stormy

Postby Heathenist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote:it took me directly to the top 10 with babdook and get out so i didn't even look at the rest

I could maybe see a case for Get Out making a top 10 list eventually. It was a great movie, but I feel weird putting movies that are only a year old anywhere near a lot of the classics that have held up for 30-40+ years. But I definitely think Get Out will be considered one of the best eventually. Babadook was cool but it probably should even been in the top 50.
Heathenist

Postby radiatedradiation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:47 am

I watched Night of the Demons last night because of this thread.... I thought it was pretty enjoyable and the ending is so stupid and awesome
radiatedradiation

Postby radiatedradiation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 am

Stormy wrote:That list!!! I only looked at the top 10. Get Out is the greatest horror film of all time? Night of the Hunter and King Kong are horror movies?? Wow, fucking clueless.

I haven't seen Night of the Hunter, but I could see how King Kong could fit into that category. It's not scary at all IMO but it arguably might possess every element of a movie that you consider to be "horror".
radiatedradiation

Postby Stoner Witch » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 am

I enjoyed Creep 2 quite a bit.
Stoner Witch
THWUMP

Postby Bob Loblaw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 am

La casa del fin de los tiempos
Last Shift
Zombieland
Society
Berlin Syndrome
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The House Of The Devil
Flatliners (1990)
Psycho (1960)
The Babysitter
Happy Death Day
Suspiria
Rosemary’s Babby

My list this year lookin a little light : /

had family in town and stuff going on.
Bob Loblaw

Postby guttertech » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 am

Didn't go too crazy myself either.
The Living Dead Girl
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Carnival of Souls
Gremlins
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Maniac (2012)
Beyond the Darkness
Blood and Roses
Inside
Calvaire
I guess Salo is a horror film in a way.

Highly, highly recommend Blood and Roses, even if it's not entirely a horror film. One of the most best vampire movies I've ever seen. Whole thing is on youtube.
guttertech

Postby Aesthetic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:59 am

Stoner Witch wrote:I enjoyed Creep 2 quite a bit.

Watched this last night. I honestly enjoyed it more than the first at some points. I remember reading that they will be planning on making this a
Spoiler: show
trilogy
Aesthetic

Postby lifejuice » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 pm

I didn't watch much, but I liked everything I saw:

The Descent
Under The Shadow
The Silenced
We're Going To Eat You
Kung Fu Zombie
The Awakening
The Fog
Pet Sematary 2

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TheB9 mobile app
lifejuice

Postby benten » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Everything I watched (57 movies) with a ranking and sentence or two

https://letterboxd.com/benxpete/list/sc ... ot/detail/
benten

Postby Woodshatter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm

benten wrote:Everything I watched (57 movies) with a ranking and sentence or two

Hey, another Letterboxd user! Just followed ya man.
Woodshatter

Postby Stormy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 pm

radiatedradiation wrote:
Stormy wrote:That list!!! I only looked at the top 10. Get Out is the greatest horror film of all time? Night of the Hunter and King Kong are horror movies?? Wow, fucking clueless.

I haven't seen Night of the Hunter, but I could see how King Kong could fit into that category. It's not scary at all IMO but it arguably might possess every element of a movie that you consider to be "horror".

It's a monster movie. Like all the '50 stuff Them, Tarantula, The Mantis etc... Two different genres IMO. It's like saying The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is a horror movie.
Last edited by Stormy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy

Postby Eyes of Madness » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Eyes of Madness

Postby benten » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Woodshatter wrote:
benten wrote:Everything I watched (57 movies) with a rating and sentence or two

Hey, another Letterboxd user! Just followed ya man.
benten

Postby Bubs » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Thought Super Dark Times was really disappointing. Started off with a ton of potential, but I hated the direction it went in. Liked the atmosphere, hated the writing.

Regardless, that director is really talented. Bet he does big things.
Bubs

Postby Bubs » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:28 pm

ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:From Beyond is one of my fav mid 80s movies. So good.

Sneaky great Halloween movie.
Bubs

Postby jaredfromsubway » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Stormy wrote:
radiatedradiation wrote:

It's a monster movie. Like all the '50 stuff Them, Tarantula, The Mantis etc... Two different genres IMO. It's like saying The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is a horror movie.

Night of the Hunter is one of my all time favorites movies, but yeah, I'd consider it more of a thriller
jaredfromsubway

Postby Stormy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 am

My favorite horror (kinda all over the place)

Night of the Living Dead
Rosemary's Ba.by
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Susperia
Carnival Of Souls
Messiah Of Evil
Repulsion
Black Sunday
Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer
Inferno
Jacob's Ladder
Witchfinder General
Nosferatu
The Shining
Psycho
Alien
Castle of Blood
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Halloween
Don't Look Now
Trilogy of Terror
Carrie
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
The Sentinal
The Thing (1982)
Phantasm
Dracula (1979) (love all the Hammer era Peter Cushing movies, and the Universal stuff, but this is my fave)
Deep Red
Tourist Trap (scared the SHIT out of me as a kid)
Vampyr
Ringu
Uzumaki
Silence of The Lambs
Dead of Night
Jaws (if that counts as horror)

also love lots of Hammer stuff, Euro and Italian stuff

top 5 slasher/gore

Mother's Day
Nightmare in a Damaged Brain
Maniac
Der Todesking / Schramm / Nekromantik
Torso
Curtains (another one that freaked me out as a kid)

Never thought The Exorcist was scary. Entertaining though for sure.

fave "newer" horror
Devil's Candy
The Witch
Eden Lake
Split
and i really liked It Follows

One of the creepiest short films i've ever seen is David Lynch's "Grandmother"
Stormy

Postby Woodshatter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:01 am

For those not on Letterboxd, here's my final batch of stuff I watched for October:

25. Monster Dog- A bit of a rough watch. I've heard Alice Cooper only did this as long as they never showed it over here, but I see that they didn't keep their promise. At least the poster looks cool.
26. Xtro- What a strange flick with some really creative and creepy shit. How this doesn't have a Blu-ray release yet confuses me.
27. Deep Red/Profondo Rosso- A tiny bit slower than I thought it would be, but some damn good cinematography and a great soundtrack. This was only my second Argento film though (first was Phenomena).
28. Xtro 2: The Second Encounter- A fecal waterslide. Shocked that this had the same director as the first, but I've read that he didn't have the rights to the story of the first film and only owned the name. Just a really bad ripoff of Aliens with Jan-Michael Vincent looking super bored.
29. Zombeavers- Think it could've been a bit better (and longer), but it washed the taste of Xtro 2 out of my mouth, so I give em props for that.
30. Suspiria- Seeing it for the first time (and in 4K) made me hate that I had never done it earlier. Man what a good flick.
31. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II- Actually might've liked it more than the first, even if that sounds blasphemous. Lot of fun.
32. Repulsion- Only my second Polanski film, and now I just have to find The Tenant to complete the apartment trilogy. Really well made, and Catherine Deneuve is fucking grand.
33. Tales of Halloween- A bit overhyped, but thought it had more hits than misses. Laughed a lot during the "Friday the 31st" segment and enjoyed the Lucky McKee segment because I <3 Pollyanna McIntosh.

There were a LOT of movies that didn't make my cut this year because my hours at my job are so wonky. I'm gonna try for the 100 movie challenge next year and see how far I make it.
Woodshatter

Postby WidowMaker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 am

My list for October

The Return of the Living Dead
Cult of Chucky
The Thing
Demon Knight
John Carpenter’s Vampires
Suspiria
The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
The Exorcist III
The Cabin in the Woods
Horns
High Tension
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Friday the 13th Part VI
Event Horizon
The Devil’s Candy
The Lost Boys
You’re Next
Videodrome
Leviathan
A Dark Song
It (2017)
Blair Witch
Nightmare 1-7
The VVitch
Halloween 1 & 2
WidowMaker

Postby seth threat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Jigsaw was so fucking bad
seth threat

Postby t.doomhammer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 pm

seth threat wrote:Jigsaw was so fucking bad

Not gonna lie, it looks pretty bad.
t.doomhammer

Postby jaredfromsubway » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Never been much of a fan of the Saw series, so I'm not surprised. First one was meh. I only saw a couple of the sequels and they were just awful.
jaredfromsubway

Postby guttertech » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 am

Anyone have weird streaming issues with Shudder? I just recently signed up for it. First movie I watched worked fine, but I can't watch the last 15 minutes of Black Sunday without the player buffering for over five minutes at a time and then only playing a few more seconds before it does it again. I tried two other movies for like 10 minutes each and they seem to play fine :smt017
guttertech

Postby jaredfromsubway » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am

My friend who got it recently was experiencing the same issues, but I personally haven't had any
jaredfromsubway

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 am

I can't think of anything currently playing I'd rather see less than Jigsaw. Maybe the Emoji Movie if it's still in theatres.

Shudder has been good for me, haven't had any issues.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby radiatedradiation » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm

I watched Alien 3 last night......... L o L
radiatedradiation

PreviousNext