All Things Horror

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Riddle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe wrote:I just activated a 7 day trial for Shudder. This shit has a lot more good stuff than I expected. I remember checking it out when it first came out and it seemed pretty underwhelming.

Been thinking about giving it a try.. lemme know if it's worth it.
Riddle

Postby jaredfromsubway » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Shudder is constantly adding new titles along with original movies exclusive to Shudder (Prevenge is great). I started with the free trail earlier this year and have been a fan of it ever since
jaredfromsubway

Postby t.doomhammer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

I just finished Mask Maker. Really good slasher film, cool premise, likeable characters and a killer who is kinda like Leatherface without the chainsaw but with Jason's kinda undead thing.

It's good in the same way Dying Fetus or In-N-Out are good. Certainly nothing new but the quality of there.
t.doomhammer

Postby benten » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Riddle wrote:The last few days:

A Dark Song - 7.5/10. Interesting to say the least. Great use of creepy violin scratching for the soundtrack. Didn't care for the ending, though.

Shut In - 2/10. Nothing new and exciting about this one.

The Devil's Candy - 6/10. Interesting concept.. Last haul in the movie was fun.. overall just OK though..

Lake Mungo - 7/10. A slow burn mock dock, not a whole lot of spooky in this one, however, I will say this. The climax of the movie made me feel actual fear in the pit of my stomach, so for that, it gets my love.

Tonight I'm going to check out "Never Hike Alone" and "The Ghoul".

Shut In was one of the worst movies ive ever watched in theaters haha. I can't believe some of the things it tried...mostly Oliver Platt explaining everything over Skype lol
benten

Postby Eyes of Madness » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Gonna check this out tonight.
Eyes of Madness

Postby Hungry like the wolf » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 pm

benten wrote:
Hungry like the wolf wrote:I was trying to remember a movie I saw awhile ago but I'm very hazy on the details and the internet is coming up dry for me.
Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

The basic plot was heavy metal band goes to a ski cabin(I think to shoot a music video) and they all start getting killed off. It was cheesy and pretty bad in a bad way if I remember right. I'm pretty sure they had brought like 2 girls with them as well. I know it's not really a lot to go on.

My brother was watching Rock'n'Roll Nightmare and I thought of it but he didn't know what I was talking about and he's more into horror movies than I am.

Blood Tracks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088827/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thank you my dude.
Hungry like the wolf

Postby seth threat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 am

Everne needs to check out Inquisition from 1976... Paul Naschy's directorial debut and a dan good movie filled with gore, naked babes and lots of nasty shit.
seth threat

Postby guttertech » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 am

The BM band Inquisition sampled the English dub of that on their first (I think) album. It's the only Naschy I've ever seen but it's pretty cool. Didn't it just get released on bluray or something? I only ever saw a shitty VHS rip.
guttertech

Postby foggy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 am

Night of the Demons (1988), was supremely awful, how has that movie achieved cult status?
foggy

Postby benten » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28 am

Hungry like the wolf wrote:
benten wrote:
Hungry like the wolf wrote:I was trying to remember a movie I saw awhile ago but I'm very hazy on the details and the internet is coming up dry for me.
Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

The basic plot was heavy metal band goes to a ski cabin(I think to shoot a music video) and they all start getting killed off. It was cheesy and pretty bad in a bad way if I remember right. I'm pretty sure they had brought like 2 girls with them as well. I know it's not really a lot to go on.

My brother was watching Rock'n'Roll Nightmare and I thought of it but he didn't know what I was talking about and he's more into horror movies than I am.

Blood Tracks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088827/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thank you my dude.

:smt023
benten

Postby chad stroup » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 am

foggy wrote:Night of the Demons (1988), was supremely awful, how has that movie achieved cult status?

I've loved this movie ever since it came out. It's a hell of a fun ride, I think there are some bone fide creepy moments (Angela hovering/floating through the halls, for instance), some classic moments (the lipstick scene), plus it's the movie that introduced me to Bauhaus. This movie and Killer Klowns from Outer Space are basically responsible for introducing me to punk and goth music, so I am forever indebted...haha.
chad stroup

Postby t.doomhammer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 am

foggy wrote:Night of the Demons (1988), was supremely awful, how has that movie achieved cult status?

Movie rules, what didn't you like about it? It's like the perfect 80's horror film.
t.doomhammer

Postby foggy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

Pretty much everything. The annoying brother, the guido Sal, Stooge, the geography of Hall House, Angela's whole mission of having the party, the seance was dumb, the effects, I could go on. It's not a "so bad, it's good" type of movie, it's just bad, not even laughable. I went in with low expectations, I love B-movies especially from the '80's, but damn.

Bauhaus scene was cool though. I'll give it that.
foggy

Postby Aesthetic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 am

foggy wrote:Pretty much everything. The annoying brother, the guido Sal, Stooge, the geography of Hall House, Angela's whole mission of having the party, the seance was dumb, the effects, I could go on. It's not a "so bad, it's good" type of movie, it's just bad, not even laughable. I went in with low expectations, I love B-movies especially from the '80's, but damn.

Bauhaus scene was cool though. I'll give it that.

This.

I didn't think much of it when i first saw it but it's definitely grew on me throughout the years. The Scream Factory release looks and sounds so good.
Aesthetic

Postby benten » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am

Hmmm, I love it. So fun. Good horror characters. Good suspense, scares, chases. I dunno.
benten

Postby antipasto » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:10 pm

When did horror shirts start going for $27??
antipasto

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Wal Mart has horror shirts for $7. Awesome designs too
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby Woodshatter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Update on the films I've watched so far:

Spoiler: show
11. Death Machine- 1994 scifi/horror combo that I picked up from B&N for $7. Brad Dourif is the real standout, though the titular monster does look a little cool. Lots of blatant homages to Aliens, including two ecoterrorists named Weyland and Yutani.
12. Wrestlemaniac- Probably the worst movie I've seen so far in this year's marathon. Fun concept, really bad execution. Didn't realize Rey Misterio Sr. was that big of a guy compared to his nephew.
13. Christine- Really dug the heck out of it. Have no idea why I hadn't seen it sooner.
14. Graveyard Shift- Some decent ideas, but really poorly executed. Monster looks cool and Brad Dourif RULES (again), but that's about it.
15. Fire in the Sky- Debating even calling it horror, but man was that post-abduction scene on the ship freaky as fuck.
16. Without Warning- Really wanted to like it, especially considering that it's an influence on Predator, but I was so bored for the thing overall. And the alien hunter looked like fucking Megamind.
17. Cronos- Absolutely splendid. Don't really know what else I can add since it's Del Toro.
18. The Vanishing- Really captivating, and even knowing the ending in advance, it didn't stop me from feeling I got punched in the gut.
19. Body Snatchers- Still not a big Abel Ferrera fan, but it was passable all things considered. Really liked Meg Tilly, and some of the effects are kinda cool.
20. The Void- Awesome effects, but all it made me want to do was watch From Beyond or Prince of Darkness again. Really disappointed.
21. The Devil's Candy- A bit slower than I thought it'd be, but that finale was absolutely great. That director is 2 for 2 now imo.
22. The Babysitter- McG still sucks, but I liked it a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. Some of the dialogue is pretty bad though.
23. Tenderness of the Wolves- Really slow, but Kurt Raab was legit creepy as fuck and it's directed rather well. I'll need to watch it again sometime in the future.
24. Hardware- Far from perfect, but super fun. Cool soundtrack, great gore (when it's there), and Stacey Travis is a babe.
Woodshatter

Postby I gave you power » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 am

Watched Re-Animator and Maniac both for the first time last night, both awesome movies.
I gave you power

Postby Aesthetic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 am

Watched Sisters by De Palma last night. I absolutely love this movie and think Margot Kidder is a babe.
Aesthetic

Postby t.doomhammer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 am

Finally got around to watching The Babadook, totally was not what I was expecting at all.
t.doomhammer

Postby benten » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 am

Aesthetic wrote:Watched Sisters by De Palma last night. I absolutely love this movie and think Margot Kidder is a babe.

love it, and De Palma of course. Sisters is so underseen, even though its on the Criterion Collection...but needs a blu ray update badly. Kidder rules. One of the best movies about
split personalities
and kinda was before its time.
benten

Postby Bob Loblaw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am

I gave you power wrote:Watched Re-Animator.

Get down on From Beyond as well if you haven’t already
Bob Loblaw

Postby foggy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 am

1922 was pretty good, not necessarily horror, but the horror stuff in it was pretty great.
foggy

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 pm

There's a show on Netflix called The Mist. Based on Stephen Kings novella. Haven't watched it yet. And isn't there a movie too?
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby BRICK_FLAIR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm

antipasto wrote:When did horror shirts start going for $27??

Not sure what you're specifically referring to, but a lot lately have been officially licensed and that can be costly, especially on a smaller scale.
BRICK_FLAIR

Postby Stormy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 pm

WheresTheGabagool wrote:There's a show on Netflix called The Mist. Based on Stephen Kings novella. Haven't watched it yet. And isn't there a movie too?

I watched the first couple episodes and it's terrible. Pretty much has nothing to do with the short story. The movie is OK besides the dopey ending.
Stormy

Postby andrewgnarr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:02 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:
I gave you power wrote:Watched Re-Animator.

Get down on From Beyond as well if you haven’t already

Reanimator is definitely one of my favorites. Currently finishing up the book, but From Beyond is next up after that
andrewgnarr

Postby I gave you power » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:05 am

Just looked up From Beyond, looks right up my alley. Appreciate the rec.
I gave you power

Postby ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 am

From Beyond is one of my fav mid 80s movies. So good.
ryan_aka_a_knee_deepinthe
In the Valley of the Dolls

Postby Rock and/or Roll » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 am

If anyone is interested, I do a horror podcast with my wife. It's on iTunes called Bloody Popcorn. I think there are 28 episodes.

I think we are recording this year's Halloween episode tonight, and there are 3 Halloween episodes from last year too.
Rock and/or Roll

Postby t.doomhammer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:26 am

I bought Evil Bong 3D from 7-11 for $5 this morning on my way into work. I can't wait to get home and watch it.
t.doomhammer

Postby foggy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 am

I'm actually pretty excited to see Jigsaw this weekend. The directors' previous movies, Daybreakers and Predestination, were really good. Probably wasn't the greatest idea to release it the same Friday as Stranger Things S2 drops on Netflix, but whatever.
foggy

Postby antipasto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:17 am

t.doomhammer wrote:I bought Evil Bong 3D from 7-11 for $5 this morning on my way into work. I can't wait to get home and watch it.

Hell yeah
antipasto

Postby benten » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 am

foggy wrote:I'm actually pretty excited to see Jigsaw this weekend. The directors' previous movies, Daybreakers and Predestination, were really good. Probably wasn't the greatest idea to release it the same Friday as Stranger Things S2 drops on Netflix, but whatever.

i didnt know that director was doing Jigsaw, so yeah that is a glimmer of hope for it. I just cant go back to that torture stuff....horror has come so far since that.
benten

Postby Aesthetic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am

foggy wrote:I'm actually pretty excited to see Jigsaw this weekend. The directors' previous movies, Daybreakers and Predestination, were really good. Probably wasn't the greatest idea to release it the same Friday as Stranger Things S2 drops on Netflix, but whatever.

Going tonight to see it. Haven't seen the last three films but it should be entertaining.
Aesthetic

Postby Heathenist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Hell House LLC was dope. Some pretty legitimate scares/creepy stuff. Pretty interesting concept and the story was compelling.
Heathenist

Postby SchlongConnery » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 am

Creep 2 was great. Duplass strikes again.
SchlongConnery

Postby benten » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 am

Does Creep 2 still kinda play the same game as 1? Or does it embrace his crazy side and just run with it? Because there's no more "is he a crazy murderer or an innocent weirdo" question.
benten

Postby foggy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 am

Heathenist wrote:Hell House LLC was dope. Some pretty legitimate scares/creepy stuff. Pretty interesting concept and the story was compelling.

Fiance made me watch this over the weekend, was shocked it wasn't garbage based off the title alone.
foggy

Postby benten » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 am

45th movie of the month ... HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (1983)

Decent slasher with a really good final 1/3rd and a nutso ending sequence.

Its basically the
direct opposite of the Friday the 13th family twist
benten

Postby jaredfromsubway » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am

benten wrote:Does Creep 2 still kinda play the same game as 1? Or does it embrace his crazy side and just run with it? Because there's no more "is he a crazy murderer or an innocent weirdo" question.

More towards the latter, but It's more of a dark comedy rather than a horror movie this time around.

Especially cause the lady documenting him knows He's a killer within the first 20 mins of the movie
jaredfromsubway

Postby foggy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 am

Friday the 13th fans: Did you like Never Hike Alone?
foggy

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 am

Watched CreepShow for the first time. Pretty cool
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby benten » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Hit movie #50 tonight. Some select ones

...The House on Sorority Row, 1983 - 4/5
Decent slasher with a really good, nutso ending

...Legion, 2010 - 3/5
Saw this in theaters back when, and actually got real high on it and loved it and got so much fun out of it. It was a huge suprise. I still feel that way about 2/3rds of the movie....but, the last third is not good. Like, obviously, but it's not as fun as the first two thirds either because it gets bogged down in paying off the ridiculous plot. When it was just basically Rio Bravo mixed with Twilight Zone, it was working greatly. That gets it 3/5 and still makes for a good watch.

...Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 5/5
often referred to as a more "fun" and less intense or gross film than the first...while the former is true, I find it just as gross and intense and unsettling as the first. Caroline Williams one of the all timer final girls.

...Tenebre - 4.5/5
Second best mystery Argento put together, behind Deep Red. Immensely watchable. Great ending.

...Jason X - 1.5/5
No reappraisals here, still sucks

....Cemetary Man - 4/5
nothing like it. so haunting, so darkly romantic but also really gross. Icky, i think, would be the best term. A few movies only in the 90s had this feel to them, no matter genre - "After Dark, My Sweet" and "Exotica" come to mind also Dead Ringers that are kinda draining but in a good, emotional way...all faves of mine.
benten

Postby Woodshatter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:13 am

Making the decision to see Suspiria tonight for the first time (and in that 4K restoration to boot) was a damn good one.
Woodshatter

Postby Bob Loblaw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 am

Woodshatter wrote:Making the decision to see Suspiria tonight for the first time (and in that 4K restoration to boot) was a damn good one.

Just got the Korean Blu in the mail, gonna get down on that after work.
Bob Loblaw

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Watched Creepshow 1 and 2 this weekend
WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby WheresTheGabagool » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 am

Found this while browsing youtube. It was awesome.

WheresTheGabagool
Basically Chalie

Postby foggy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 am

Jigsaw was pretty meh. It raises too many questions, and really isn't that satisfying. I'd rank it after Saw 3 and 4.

Watched A Cure for Wellness last night, was good but over too overindulgent and dragged on for too long.
foggy

PreviousNext