B9 Bodybuilding and fitness thread.

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:33 pm

weak bench press disapresshhh. As much mass I have on my chest I suck ass at benching, my used to be 220, went down to 200 now. :smt012
Last edited by GdLGabe on Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GdLGabe

Postby BrianX910 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:34 pm

I'll stick with dumbbell presses.
BrianX910

Postby whobangin' » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:35 pm

GdLGabe wrote: As much mass I have on my chest

OOOO RLY?
whobangin'

Postby sans_lamentation » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:35 pm

5 x 5 program
sans_lamentation

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:36 pm

sans_lamentation wrote:5 x 5 program
Doing this now to retain strength on a cut.
GdLGabe

Postby FlamingBlood_03 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Are you keeping the other parts of your arms in shape(shoulders, triceps) that you use for benching?
FlamingBlood_03

Postby am i still ill? » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm

meh, my max-bench press was 225, i hardly ever do them anymore outside of light/high reps with 160 or so. i'd much rather do db presses. i'm putting up two 85s for one rep currently.
am i still ill?

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Strength doesnt equal mass.

I dont care about numbers. I care about how I look and using proper form on the movement.

I see kids benching heavy ALL THE TIME yet they are small as fuck. I think they forget that just cause you can bench 300 pounds doesnt make you big. Every muscle group is important. Rowing is more important that bench. Squatting is more important than bench. Deadliftting is more important than bench.

People focus way to much on push exercises rather than pulls.
bigpun2012

Postby DrewBlood » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 pm

yeah, i hear ya. i got a barrel chest and long arms. i once figured out that if my arms were four inches shorter i could lift about 30 more lbs.
DrewBlood

Postby warchief » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:39 pm

YC James ( Harms way fame) does the westside workout and that gets his bench up to proper man weight.

I stick with kettlebell floor presses and does good for me...Im 6'3 and my arms are long as fuck so I feel your pain.
warchief

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:39 pm

FlamingBlood_03 wrote:Are you keeping the other parts of your arms in shape(shoulders, triceps) that you use for benching?
Yeah, I just have a weak chest, solid tri,shoulders and back.
GdLGabe

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 pm

bigpun2012 wrote:Strength doesnt equal mass.

I dont care about numbers. I care about how I look and using proper form on the movement.

I see kids benching heavy ALL THE TIME yet they are small as fuck. I think they forget that just cause you can bench 300 pounds doesnt make you big. Every muscle group is important. Rowing is more important that bench. Squatting is more important than bench. Deadliftting is more important than bench.

Very true, but I'm bitching because it is my weakest lift.
GdLGabe

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm

My bench isint all too well right now either.
I get my 80 minutes a day during school.
(To the dude who posted this)
try to build up endurance doing military presses and shoulder presses.
Maaark

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm

its not your weakest lift. Some rear delt shit should be weaker bro.
bigpun2012

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 pm

i like me some dumbbell press, makes it more fun. plus, i don't have to deal with some assclown in a tank torn down to his hips with his nipples showing wearing hair gel in the gym asking if he can work in with me on his bench, puts 225 on the bar and needs help with every rep, while i'm doing my negatives and i'm on the last one and he fucking nods down at me and says, "you got it," as the bar starts coming down. assclown.
rahul

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:49 pm

gazastrip wrote:

What makes you think all of those things are "more important" ? They're all equally important, in my humble opinion.

Squatting is just as equally as demanding as a bench press. They're both compound exercises, and both use secondary muscles to help push the weight. I will agree with you though that lifting unnecessary weight in (often times feeble) attempts to get bigger just doesn't cut it. Most people end up hurting themselves or pulling a muscle before any muscle growth takes place.

I feel people don't do enough stretching or pre-workout cardio (5-8 minutes to get the blood flowing) enough. As a personal trainer and a bodybuilder I can't stress how important these two things are.

On a sidenote, where were you guys when I created the bodybuilding thread? Could've used a few people instead of a massive fail. :smt009
Thead is now bodybuilding and fitness, Discuss whatever problems you have here! :smt006
GdLGabe

Postby Martin Payne » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Those kids benching heavy more than likely have higher testosterone levels than you. Lifting any kind of weight higher or equal to your maximum is scientifically proven to increase natural testosterone levels. Not one exercise is more important than the other. I say that because benching is an isolation exercise and rowing is a complex exercise working more than one group of muscle. Dead lifts aren't more important than benching as well. You've obviously never wrestled or done any competition sports.
Martin Payne

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:51 pm

hypertrophy-specific phase, first time i've done it, feels great.
rahul

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:52 pm

rahul wrote:hypertrophy-specific phase, first time i've done it, feels great.
Have never really heard this, what is it?
GdLGabe

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

gazastrip wrote:

What makes you think all of those things are "more important" ? They're all equally important, in my humble opinion.

Squatting is just as equally as demanding as a bench press. They're both compound exercises, and both use secondary muscles to help push the weight. I will agree with you though that lifting unnecessary weight in (often times feeble) attempts to get bigger just doesn't cut it. Most people end up hurting themselves or pulling a muscle before any muscle growth takes place.

I feel people don't do enough stretching or pre-workout cardio (5-8 minutes to get the blood flowing) enough. As a personal trainer and a bodybuilder I can't stress how important these two things are.

On a sidenote, where were you guys when I created the bodybuilding thread? Could've used a few people instead of a massive fail. :smt009

(off-topic, but since your a trainer)
How can I get rid of back acne?
Im pretty sure its just from sweating because I dont think im on anything that makes me break out.
Maaark

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

I agree lifts are equal but most people dont even squat or DL to begin with.

I see kids benching more than they can squat. That reallllly concerns me. ITs extremely odd for me to see kids stacking plates on their bench but proally would fall over if they squatted that weight.
bigpun2012

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:54 pm

bigpun2012 wrote:I agree lifts are equal but most people dont even squat or DL to begin with.

I see kids benching more than they can squat. That reallllly concerns me. ITs extremely odd for me to see kids stacking plates on their bench but proally would fall over if they squatted that weight.
I love deadlifts and squats, hate bench.
GdLGabe

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Maaark wrote:
gazastrip wrote:

(off-topic, but since your a trainer)
How can I get rid of back acne?
Im pretty sure its just from sweating because I dont think im on anything that makes me break out.
accutane used to have a little now i have none
bigpun2012

Postby Martin Payne » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm

gazastrip wrote:

If you're a personal trainer then you would know that stretching post-workout is more important than stretching pre-workout. Stretching pre-workout is known to weaken muscles resulting in sub-par lifts. Proper warm-up should be more cardio oriented if you're weight lifting.
Martin Payne

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm

GdLGabe wrote:
rahul wrote:hypertrophy-specific phase, first time i've done it, feels great.
Have never really heard this, what is it?

hypertrophy = increase in cell mass, in this case muscle fiber.

i'm not a trainer or anything like that, i just wanted to try something different than my usual 5x5. i found an article on bodybuilding.com, decided to give it a shot. look it up there, they can explain it better than i can.
rahul

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm

yes I can believe it. Squats are my fav exercise.
bigpun2012

Postby BrianX910 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:01 pm

I want to deadlift at my gym. But they only have a Smith machine.

:smt012
BrianX910

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:05 pm

Actually people say not to stretch preworkout....

I do it anyways cause I am so tight always. My hips and lowerback get tight easily.
bigpun2012

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm

BrianX910 wrote:I want to deadlift at my gym. But they only have a Smith machine.

Join a different gym or, try dumbbells.
GdLGabe

Postby BrianX910 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm

PS: Optimum makes the best protein, confirm or deny?
BrianX910

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:07 pm

BrianX910 wrote:PS: Optimum makes the best protein, confirm or deny?

from my experiences, absolutly.
best BCAA profile as well.
Maaark

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:09 pm

bigpun2012 wrote:Actually people say not to stretch preworkout....

I do it anyways cause I am so tight always. My hips and lowerback get tight easily.

i just get on the exercise bike for a few, then just a few plyometrics to get loose. something i learned running cross country.
rahul

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:09 pm

GdLGabe wrote:
BrianX910 wrote:I want to deadlift at my gym. But they only have a Smith machine.

Join a different gym or, try dumbbells.

LOL yeah it isnt a gym without a bar. Squat, deadlifting and bar bell rows need a bar.
bigpun2012

Postby BoneThugz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm

bigpun2012 wrote:I dont care about numbers. I care about how I look

if thats you in your avatar, you look like a pussy
BoneThugz

Postby bigpun2012 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 pm

BoneThugz wrote:

yeah I am a pussy lol. Never said different. Feel free to show pics of your Ronnie coleman sized guns ese!
bigpun2012

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 pm

loling
Maaark

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

bigpun2012 wrote:
BoneThugz wrote:

yeah I am a pussy lol. Never said different. Feel free to show pics of your Ronnie coleman sized guns ese!
Posting for a gun show.
GdLGabe

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

in the spirit of this thread, time to eat chicken, veggies, and mashed potatoes, big glass of milk.
rahul

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 pm

rahul wrote:in the spirit of this thread, time to eat chicken, veggies, and mashed potatoes, big glass of milk.

:smt007
Maaark

Postby BoneThugz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I'll toot my own horn for a sec, I'm well built and put up big numbers for my size.

My point is, I wouldn't take lifting advice from someone who looked like that.
BoneThugz

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Last edited by GdLGabe on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GdLGabe

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 pm

gazastrip wrote:
Maaark wrote:

Optimum is an excellent protein. Been using it for about 5 years. Have used a handful of other proteins but always come back to this one. I'm currently using Ultimate Nutrition whey 81 (short on cash) and ON Casein pre-bed time.

If you're looking for a good isolate, Strive's PRO-ISL has 10 grams of BCAA's per scoop. The highest of any protein I've found.

What kind of supplements are you guys using?
Canada's health and drug administration is very strict and 90% of the products sold at your health stores/GNC's/etc have to be reformulated to be allowed in Canada. Hell, even L-Carnitine has been banned here. And it's an amino acid for christs sake.

That being said, I'm currently only using whey/casein and a multivitamin.
I met Rich Gaspari from Gaspari Nutrition and he came into my store and gave us all free samples, I'm not big on supplements so I'll probably just give them away.

Currently cutting/training for the Canadian Junior Natural bodybuilding competitions held in early 2009. If you guys are interested I'll keep you all updated on my progress :smt003
Keeps us updated, right now all I take is this creatine that I buy at walmart, my protein comes from there too.
GdLGabe

Postby BoneThugz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Yeah, no.

Unless someone has studied exercise science, is extremely well read on the topic, or is just straight up a ton bigger/stronger, I usually couldn't care less what they have to say about lifting.
BoneThugz

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm

gazastrip wrote:
Maaark wrote:

Optimum is an excellent protein. Been using it for about 5 years. Have used a handful of other proteins but always come back to this one. I'm currently using Ultimate Nutrition whey 81 (short on cash) and ON Casein pre-bed time.

If you're looking for a good isolate, Strive's PRO-ISL has 10 grams of BCAA's per scoop. The highest of any protein I've found.

Canada's health and drug administration is very strict and 90% of the products sold at your health stores/GNC's/etc have to be reformulated to be allowed in Canada. Hell, even L-Carnitine has been banned here. And it's an amino acid for christs sake.

I met Rich Gaspari from Gaspari Nutrition and he came into my store and gave us all free samples, I'm not big on supplements so I'll probably just give them away.

Currently cutting/training for the Canadian Junior Natural bodybuilding competitions held in early 2009. If you guys are interested I'll keep you all updated on my progress :smt003

that rules, mad respect for rich gaspari, and his products.
EDIT: Superpump 250 is probably the best N.O product out there.
the dude grew up in the next town over by me.

Supplements im taking currently are

Multi
Beta-Alanine
Optimum nutrition 100% whey
Glutamine powder.
(soon to be getting N-large, probably coming in the mail tomorrow)
Last edited by Maaark on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maaark

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm

post what you do for cardio.

run, bike, swim is my leisure.
rahul

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm

rahul wrote:post what you do for cardio.

usualy run 1/2- 1 mile every morning.
I think 1/2 mile is very reasonable, and im always feeling good afterwords.
Maaark

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm

gazastrip wrote:
BoneThugz wrote:Yeah, no.

Unless someone has studied exercise science, is extremely well read on the topic, or is just straight up a ton bigger/stronger, I usually couldn't care less what they have to say about lifting.

I hear what you say. Just do your own research, and see what works best for your body. If it's working great for you, you must be doing something right.

exactly. i'm not a big guy, i'm 6'1'', 170. but i'm cut, lean, getting bigger, i'm a good athlete, and i've learned what my body responds to in the gym. it's a fun process, just go with it.
rahul

Postby GdLGabe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Running, spinning and basketball. Today just did spinning class and 2 hours of bball.
GdLGabe

Postby Maaark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:27 pm

gazastrip wrote:
Maaark wrote:
gazastrip wrote:
Maaark wrote:

that rules, mad respect for rich gaspari, and his products.
the fuckin' ese grew up in the next town over by me.

Supplements im taking currently are

Multi
Beta-Alanine
Optimum nutrition 100% whey
Glutamine powder.
(soon to be getting N-large, probably coming in the mail tomorrow)

I did take a sample of Horsepower, which has about 2 g of beta-alanine in it, but I didn't like the tingly feeling it gave me. Definately helped me push harder and longer at the gym as it's helped to reduce lactic acid build up, but I just couldn't get passed the itching sensation.

As for cardio, I usually do 60 minutes every morning on an empty stomach at about 60% of my MHR. I found that this works well for me to help burn fat. I do this on an empty stomach and early in the morning because your body will use the fat stores from the previous night as opposed to carbohydrates that you eat for fuel.

The tingly feeling gets to me at times too, especially once you start sweating. Hopefully some good strength gains will come out of it.
Maaark

Postby rahul » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:27 pm

GdLGabe wrote:

Running, spinning and basketball. Today just did spinning class and 2 hours of bball.

dumb question to follow. what is spinning?
rahul

Next