Guitar gear thread

General discussion, shows, and everything else.

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 pm

I just got my '75 Super Lead from my tech, and it kills everything. I'm officially selling my JCM800, because I don't need it anymore.

I don't understand why the fuckin eses in the 80s modded these for more gain. With my Volume I on 5, I've got more than enough gain. I've got a PPIMV installed, too. It totally fucking rips.

Here's the setup:

I'm running a Mark III Red Stripe head into a 1978 Marshall 4x12 (25 watt blackbacks) on the top and a Marshall 1980 4x12 (G12-65s) on the bottom.

On the other side, I'm running the '75 Super Lead into a 1978 Marshall 4x12 (25 watt blackbacks) on top and an Orange 4x12 (Vintage 30s) on the bottom.

I'm using a Radial BigShot to run the two stacks simultaneously.

I didn't try out my pedalboard with it, but I think I'll have it before the BigShot, but with the Maxon AD-999 in the loop of the Mark III.

The brightness of the Marshall is evened out by the darker Mark III.

I wanted to run out to the hall and find some guitarists to show, but that's way too nerdy.

Seriously, this setup fucking RIPS!
Last edited by Scott K on Sun May 13, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby .TRAVIS. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm

you and i are the biggest dorks on this board.
User avatar
.TRAVIS.
 
Posts: 10477
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:12 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby DAMAGED I » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 pm

sounds awesome! i am in love with what i'm working with now, though I'm going to have to get one more larger, high wattage cabinet soon.

Image
Last edited by DAMAGED I on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMAGED I
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Goodtogoace wrote:you and i are the biggest dorks on this board.



Haha...probably, but it's fun shit.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby shithammer2.0 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Pics or it didn't happen!
shithammer2.0
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 pm

shithammer2.0 wrote:Pics or it didn't happen!


I'll get some pics next time I go to the rehearsal space (Thursday).
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby #alexander# » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm

you think those super leads have enough gain for metal? I have been wanting to buy some sort of a high gain head for my studio. I am always eyeing those weber kits as I love to build things and have yet to build an amp.
#alexander#
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:38 am
Location: pdx

Postby frankie t » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 pm

75' Super Lead.. After JMP but before the 800 right?

That Sunn stack. Awesome. What model head is on top?
frankie t
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Jer-Z Head.

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 pm

daveyxdare wrote:you think those super leads have enough gain for metal? I have been wanting to buy some sort of a high gain head for my studio. I am always eyeing those weber kits as I love to build things and have yet to build an amp.


Yes. It's not a super high-gain amp like an Uberschall or anything, but it's got more gain than I need.

To give you an idea, I can nail Ride the Lightning tones with it. The speakers make a huge difference too. I'm a big fan of Marshalls through Vintage 30s. They're really efficient speakers.

Interestingly, my settings are presence and treble at zero. Everything else at 10 (except Volume I). You can even jump the channels to get more gain.

I'm not sure of how much gain you need, but throwing a boost in front would send this amp through the roof. Like I said, I didn't run my pedalboard today, but I will on Thursday.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby frankie t » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Scott K..

What model JCM 800 do you have?
frankie t
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Jer-Z Head.

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm

frankie t wrote:75' Super Lead.. After JMP but before the 800 right?

That Sunn stack. Awesome. What model head is on top?


It's the last year of the JMP with the gold piping... In '76, they changed the style.

On top is the '75, on the bottom is an '80 (old/newer style heads):

Image
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:08 pm

frankie t wrote:Scott K..

What model JCM 800 do you have?


1983 2204 with vertical inputs:

Image
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby frankie t » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?
frankie t
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Jer-Z Head.

Postby Scott K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:13 pm

frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


Let me get back to you tomorrow. I've got an early day tomorrow. I need to be in the office before 7...

I can give you a better explanation with a decent amount of time.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby frankie t » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Scott K wrote:
frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


Let me get back to you tomorrow. I've got an early day tomorrow. I need to be in the office before 7...

I can give you a better explanation with a decent amount of time.


Awesome dude. I'll probably be on the computer at about 3 or something. Thanks!
frankie t
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Jer-Z Head.

Postby Crucial Kyle » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:16 pm

haha that setup is ridiculous... I like my setup but I have unwanted feedback from somewhere (I think its my cheap cables)...

Treble and Presence at 0 sound like the opposite of my rig.
Crucial Kyle
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Chicago Where All My Nightmares Came True

Postby Will. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Scott K wrote:
frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


Let me get back to you tomorrow. I've got an early day tomorrow. I need to be in the office before 7...

I can give you a better explanation with a decent amount of time.

I'm also somewhat interested in 800s, if you're pming him the info, send me a copy too, please.

And when playing a bigger setup (amp + a cab or two) is it normal to have a pretty audible buzz going on, even when the volume is pretty low? This is a total n00b question, but I have virtually no experience with amplification

Thanks.
User avatar
Will.
 
Posts: 9960
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:20 am

frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


I copied this from a PM I sent to B-Roll, regarding the JCM800s:

Here's how it goes:

2203 - Single channel, 100 watt, no reverb head

2204 - Single Channel 50 watt, no reverb head

2205 - Dual Channel 50 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (don't expect cleans from the first channel, it's not very clean)

2210 - Dual Channel 100 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (This channel 1 is much cleaner than the 2205)

The 2205/2210 has more gain on tap. However, the 2203s and 4s have more balls. I've owned every model, and they all sound great.

As far as horizontal/vertical inputs, the 2203s/4s switched from vertical to horizontal in 1984, I believe. My 2204 is an '83 with vertical inputs.

The horizontal input heads are harder to mod, as the inputs are mountd to the PCB board. It's not a big deal if you have no intention of modding it.


As for the 1980 JMP, it'll be similar to an early 80s (vertical input) JCM800 2203. It's got tons of gain on tap. That's a master volume head, so what I do is turn the master up pretty high, then adjust the amount of gain you want on the pre-amp. You'll get nice power tube satuaration (which I can't stress enough, is the key to "tone"). The one for sale on this board was just retubed/retolexed. I think the guy wanted somewhere around $1300, which is high. (I don't mean any disrespect to the seller, but the guitar/amp market, right now, is pretty beat). Also, I could be wrong about that price, but I thought that's what he said in the PM he sent me.

Here's the thing... do you want a 50 watt head or a 100 watt head? You can push the power tubes at lower volumes on a 50 watter. It's all preference.

My Super Lead is 100 watts, but the next amp I get, if it's not another Two Rock, will be a '73 model 1987. That's a 50 watt version of my Super Lead.




*This information is from my experience. I tried to be accurate, but I don't know everything there is to know about amps; I've just owned a bunch of them.

:smt016
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 am

Crucial Kyle wrote:haha that setup is ridiculous... I like my setup but I have unwanted feedback from somewhere (I think its my cheap cables)...

Treble and Presence at 0 sound like the opposite of my rig.


The Super Lead is a bright amp. Do you live in the city?
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby *Aaron* » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 am

Scott K wrote:
frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


I copied this from a PM I sent to B-Roll, regarding the JCM800s:

Here's how it goes:

2203 - Single channel, 100 watt, no reverb head

2204 - Single Channel 50 watt, no reverb head

2205 - Dual Channel 50 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (don't expect cleans from the first channel, it's not very clean)

2210 - Dual Channel 100 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (This channel 1 is much cleaner than the 2205)

The 2205/2210 has more gain on tap. However, the 2203s and 4s have more balls. I've owned every model, and they all sound great.

As far as horizontal/vertical inputs, the 2203s/4s switched from vertical to horizontal in 1984, I believe. My 2204 is an '83 with vertical inputs.

The horizontal input heads are harder to mod, as the inputs are mountd to the PCB board. It's not a big deal if you have no intention of modding it.


As for the 1980 JMP, it'll be similar to an early 80s (vertical input) JCM800 2203. It's got tons of gain on tap. That's a master volume head, so what I do is turn the master up pretty high, then adjust the amount of gain you want on the pre-amp. You'll get nice power tube satuaration (which I can't stress enough, is the key to "tone"). The one for sale on this board was just retubed/retolexed. I think the guy wanted somewhere around $1300, which is high. (I don't mean any disrespect to the seller, but the guitar/amp market, right now, is pretty beat). Also, I could be wrong about that price, but I thought that's what he said in the PM he sent me.

Here's the thing... do you want a 50 watt head or a 100 watt head? You can push the power tubes at lower volumes on a 50 watter. It's all preference.

My Super Lead is 100 watts, but the next amp I get, if it's not another Two Rock, will be a '73 model 1987. That's a 50 watt version of my Super Lead.




*This information is from my experience. I tried to be accurate, but I don't know everything there is to know about amps; I've just owned a bunch of them.

:smt016
also the 1959
*Aaron*
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm
Location: ...

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 am

*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


I copied this from a PM I sent to B-Roll, regarding the JCM800s:

Here's how it goes:

2203 - Single channel, 100 watt, no reverb head

2204 - Single Channel 50 watt, no reverb head

2205 - Dual Channel 50 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (don't expect cleans from the first channel, it's not very clean)

2210 - Dual Channel 100 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (This channel 1 is much cleaner than the 2205)

The 2205/2210 has more gain on tap. However, the 2203s and 4s have more balls. I've owned every model, and they all sound great.

As far as horizontal/vertical inputs, the 2203s/4s switched from vertical to horizontal in 1984, I believe. My 2204 is an '83 with vertical inputs.

The horizontal input heads are harder to mod, as the inputs are mountd to the PCB board. It's not a big deal if you have no intention of modding it.


As for the 1980 JMP, it'll be similar to an early 80s (vertical input) JCM800 2203. It's got tons of gain on tap. That's a master volume head, so what I do is turn the master up pretty high, then adjust the amount of gain you want on the pre-amp. You'll get nice power tube satuaration (which I can't stress enough, is the key to "tone"). The one for sale on this board was just retubed/retolexed. I think the guy wanted somewhere around $1300, which is high. (I don't mean any disrespect to the seller, but the guitar/amp market, right now, is pretty beat). Also, I could be wrong about that price, but I thought that's what he said in the PM he sent me.

Here's the thing... do you want a 50 watt head or a 100 watt head? You can push the power tubes at lower volumes on a 50 watter. It's all preference.

My Super Lead is 100 watts, but the next amp I get, if it's not another Two Rock, will be a '73 model 1987. That's a 50 watt version of my Super Lead.




*This information is from my experience. I tried to be accurate, but I don't know everything there is to know about amps; I've just owned a bunch of them.

:smt016
also the 1959


If you're talking about the 800, yes, there was a 1959 and a 1987 model.

The 1959 is a Super Lead, and the 1987 is a 50 watt NMV... I didn't mention those because they aren't very common. There was also a 1986, which is the bass head.


The 1987 was a favorite of John Sykes after his Mesa/Boogie Mark III Colliseum head, IIRC.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby *Aaron* » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 am

Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


I copied this from a PM I sent to B-Roll, regarding the JCM800s:

Here's how it goes:

2203 - Single channel, 100 watt, no reverb head

2204 - Single Channel 50 watt, no reverb head

2205 - Dual Channel 50 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (don't expect cleans from the first channel, it's not very clean)

2210 - Dual Channel 100 watt head, with reverb, with effects loop (This channel 1 is much cleaner than the 2205)

The 2205/2210 has more gain on tap. However, the 2203s and 4s have more balls. I've owned every model, and they all sound great.

As far as horizontal/vertical inputs, the 2203s/4s switched from vertical to horizontal in 1984, I believe. My 2204 is an '83 with vertical inputs.

The horizontal input heads are harder to mod, as the inputs are mountd to the PCB board. It's not a big deal if you have no intention of modding it.


As for the 1980 JMP, it'll be similar to an early 80s (vertical input) JCM800 2203. It's got tons of gain on tap. That's a master volume head, so what I do is turn the master up pretty high, then adjust the amount of gain you want on the pre-amp. You'll get nice power tube satuaration (which I can't stress enough, is the key to "tone"). The one for sale on this board was just retubed/retolexed. I think the guy wanted somewhere around $1300, which is high. (I don't mean any disrespect to the seller, but the guitar/amp market, right now, is pretty beat). Also, I could be wrong about that price, but I thought that's what he said in the PM he sent me.

Here's the thing... do you want a 50 watt head or a 100 watt head? You can push the power tubes at lower volumes on a 50 watter. It's all preference.

My Super Lead is 100 watts, but the next amp I get, if it's not another Two Rock, will be a '73 model 1987. That's a 50 watt version of my Super Lead.




*This information is from my experience. I tried to be accurate, but I don't know everything there is to know about amps; I've just owned a bunch of them.

:smt016
also the 1959


If you're talking about the 800, yes, there was a 1959 and a 1987 model.

The 1959 is a Super Lead, and the 1987 is a 50 watt NMV... I didn't mention those because they aren't very common. There was also a 1986, which is the bass head.


The 1987 was a favorite of John Sykes after his Mesa/Boogie Mark III Colliseum head, IIRC.
yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011
*Aaron*
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm
Location: ...

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 am

*Aaron* wrote:yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011


What happened? Does the amp turn on?

It's a JCM800 1959? Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see it.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby *Aaron* » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 am

Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011


What happened? Does the amp turn on?

It's a JCM800 1959? Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see it.
yea its a jcm800 1959. it used to belong to Gary Moore. 4 Inputs, non-master.dont know i was playing then it slowly started to die. yea it still turns on fine. the valves all light up, but nothing is being sent to the cab. i think it might have to do something with the pre-amps? i'll have pics up soon.
*Aaron*
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm
Location: ...

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:49 am

*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011


What happened? Does the amp turn on?

It's a JCM800 1959? Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see it.
yea its a jcm800 1959. it used to belong to Gary Moore. 4 Inputs, non-master.dont know i was playing then it slowly started to die. yea it still turns on fine. the valves all light up, but nothing is being sent to the cab. i think it might have to do something with the pre-amps? i'll have pics up soon.


Check both of the fuses. Do they look charred?
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby *Aaron* » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 am

Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011


What happened? Does the amp turn on?

It's a JCM800 1959? Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see it.
yea its a jcm800 1959. it used to belong to Gary Moore. 4 Inputs, non-master.dont know i was playing then it slowly started to die. yea it still turns on fine. the valves all light up, but nothing is being sent to the cab. i think it might have to do something with the pre-amps? i'll have pics up soon.


Check both of the fuses. Do they look charred?
I replaced the fuses on sunday. Def not them.
*Aaron*
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm
Location: ...

Postby Kyle Andrews » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:19 am

I'm thinking of getting an EQ any suggestions?
Kyle Andrews
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 am

Kyle Andrews wrote:I'm thinking of getting an EQ any suggestions?


I can't suggest any. The only thing I use for an EQ is the one on my Mark III. I'm sure some other dudes on here use the MXR or something similar...

What amp are you using?
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby natepoint » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:34 am

i used to play a 79 superlead and i would never turn it past 5 that head was the loudest best sounding amp i ever played i honestly wish i kept it.
natepoint
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:20 am
Location: Undisclosed Location in South West Asia

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

frankie t wrote:Yeah I like the way the 80 looks alot. Your really into it? Some dude is selling one elsewhere on the board. There's also a JCM 800 2203 89' on Ebay buy it now for 900$. Any thoughts?


Hey...I know the dude who's selling that 800 (through other message boards). He'll do $900 shipped, if you want it. I'm selling my 50 watter for more...
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby violentxpacification » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 pm

I've gone from owning multiple amps and guitars to this:

Image

There's a guy an hour away selling a 1970's Traynor Custom Special 100 watt for 350 that I wouldn't mind getting.
violentxpacification
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:52 am
Location: Thunderclap

Postby Crucial Kyle » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Scott K wrote:
Crucial Kyle wrote:haha that setup is ridiculous... I like my setup but I have unwanted feedback from somewhere (I think its my cheap cables)...

Treble and Presence at 0 sound like the opposite of my rig.


The Super Lead is a bright amp. Do you live in the city?


I sleep in the suburbs... but pretty much.
Crucial Kyle
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:59 pm
Location: Chicago Where All My Nightmares Came True

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm

*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:
Scott K wrote:
*Aaron* wrote:yea i was just throwing it out there :smt002 i have a 1959 and love it. even though something blew last night during practice :smt011


What happened? Does the amp turn on?

It's a JCM800 1959? Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see it.
yea its a jcm800 1959. it used to belong to Gary Moore. 4 Inputs, non-master.dont know i was playing then it slowly started to die. yea it still turns on fine. the valves all light up, but nothing is being sent to the cab. i think it might have to do something with the pre-amps? i'll have pics up soon.


Check both of the fuses. Do they look charred?
I replaced the fuses on sunday. Def not them.


The first place to troubleshoot is the fuses. Check them out. I put a brand new fuse in last week that fried in 5 seconds. Regardless of how new they are, they can fry due to something else in the amp, like a shorted tube.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby ivthcrusades » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:43 pm

man, scott, i'm so jealous.

lately i've been stocking up on cabinets and putting heads on hold. but here's what i have so far.

sovtek mig100 into an ampeg cab loaded with celestion 70/80's and then mesa cab with the v/30's on the other side.

then a sunn concert lead into 2 marshall 1960 a cabs.

then i have a 1968 ampeg olympian head that i'm hesitant to keep playing until i have it checked out.

on deck is an orange cab to replace on of the marshalls, and from there, either a super lead and/or v4
ivthcrusades
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Postby Rory McConoghy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 pm

i wish i had more money to buy guitar shit.

instead im kind of slumming, or atleast on a guitar. GC has Dean Z-X's for 199. Ive always liked them (with and without the locking trem). Think im gonna pick one up and put new pickups in it.

i've gutted an old peavy stack and am piecing together a super cab haha.
Rory McConoghy
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:54 am
Location: the cooler / 02131

Postby violentxpacification » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:51 pm

I bought the Traynor:

Image
violentxpacification
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:52 am
Location: Thunderclap

Postby The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:53 pm

6505+, Avatar 4x12, Ibanez JS100. I'm picking up a semi-hollow body and some effect pedals soon, since they sound better for my reggae and jazz meddlings.
User avatar
The Toxic Avenger
stop me. you wont.
 
Posts: 11771
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: RVA

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:03 pm

IVthcrusade wrote:man, scott, i'm so jealous.

lately i've been stocking up on cabinets and putting heads on hold. but here's what i have so far.

sovtek mig100 into an ampeg cab loaded with celestion 70/80's and then mesa cab with the v/30's on the other side.

then a sunn concert lead into 2 marshall 1960 a cabs.

then i have a 1968 ampeg olympian head that i'm hesitant to keep playing until i have it checked out.

on deck is an orange cab to replace on of the marshalls, and from there, either a super lead and/or v4


That's a cool setup. I might swap out one of my blackback cabs for another V30 cab, but I'll have to test out my stuff agin before making a decision.
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby Scott K » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:03 pm

violentxpacification wrote:I bought the Traynor:

Image


How does it sound, dude?
Scott K
KING OF AMPLIFICATION
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: White Castle

Postby Ripflesh » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm kinda in a slump with gear...I'm not really sure what else I want.

I know I want to get a GREEN amp, probably a half stack, but that is a pretty major buy and I'm nowhere near actually buying one.

I'd like to get another guitar but I'm not sure what I want...I can't make up my mind between a Gibson LP black beauty or a tele.

I also want to get rid of my 5150 and replace it with something else, I've come to dislike the sound more and more, I want something that isn't as..buzzy sounding? I just don't know what I should replace it with...I was thinking about a 800 2204 but I dunno, I'm still undecided. I'm checking out some LANEY heads, anyone on here play one or at least try one out before? thoughts?
Ripflesh
 
Posts: 9111
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Shane. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:12 pm

i'd love to get a green amp.
Shane.
is sensitive
 
Posts: 3895
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: DOWN FOR THE CORE

Postby ivthcrusades » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:57 pm

Scott K wrote:
IVthcrusade wrote:man, scott, i'm so jealous.

lately i've been stocking up on cabinets and putting heads on hold. but here's what i have so far.

sovtek mig100 into an ampeg cab loaded with celestion 70/80's and then mesa cab with the v/30's on the other side.

then a sunn concert lead into 2 marshall 1960 a cabs.

then i have a 1968 ampeg olympian head that i'm hesitant to keep playing until i have it checked out.

on deck is an orange cab to replace on of the marshalls, and from there, either a super lead and/or v4


That's a cool setup. I might swap out one of my blackback cabs for another V30 cab, but I'll have to test out my stuff agin before making a decision.


thanks man..its been a work in progress, and i'm not nearly satisfied yet. i love the mesa v30 cab, its a wheat grilled version, so its by far the nicest looking cab i have.
Last edited by ivthcrusades on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivthcrusades
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Postby ivthcrusades » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Scott K wrote:
violentxpacification wrote:I bought the Traynor:

Image


How does it sound, dude?


seriously, ive considered getting one also...im just not sure which model to look for (yba 1,2,3?). you dont ever hear much about them...
ivthcrusades
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Postby FatBrad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 pm

I don't even think I can verbalize how badly I want a fucking Super Lead.
FatBrad
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:33 pm

Postby jason. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:28 pm

so jealous. i aspire to have a nice collection someday...
User avatar
jason.
 
Posts: 14815
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:12 am

Postby Pratka » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Image

been working on this project. a few mods left and it will be perfect
Pratka
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Gainesville

Postby xshawnxearthx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:38 pm

i really want to get rid of my one american p-bass and get a made in mexico one and either a epi sg/lp or a ltd viper or lp rip off.

i miss having an electric guitar and playing in a band. i also really do not need such a good back up.
xshawnxearthx
 
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:48 am
Location: new jersey

Postby ianxxx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:39 pm

sometime next week im going to pick up my new setup:

white jcm 900 sl-x
jcm900 b 4x12

i passed on an ampeg setup a couple months back..kinda wish i hadnt :smt012

either way im stoked to pick this up!
ianxxx
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:03 am
Location: Joined: 17 Aug 2006

Postby southshoreconor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 pm

xshawnxearthx wrote:i really want to get rid of my one american p-bass


any pics of this? i would love to get a p bass. ideally a 70's one, but that will take some serious saving.
User avatar
southshoreconor
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:17 pm

Postby *Aaron* » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 am

lets talk tubes. i want to get my head serviced and want to replace all the power valves, most likely the pre-amps as well. any recommendations?
marshall JCM 800 1959
*Aaron*
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm
Location: ...

Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bolster315, BRICK_FLAIR, Cowboy Dan, EveryoneElse, final_justice, ForestFires, Google [Bot], HOTDOGS_COMINURWAY, JOWER 106, Lil Meatsauce, lurkin hard or hardly lur, nathansux, pickingpad, rolland sutton and 40 guests